There are still quite a few opportunities for pupils to take a Foundation Apprenticeship in your S5 or S6 year, even if you have already made your choices. I have detailed the 3 we have on offer below. Please come and see me if you want to hear more or are interested in taking one of them. With a Foundation Apprenticeship you'll be able to gain work experience alongside your studies that'll boost your confidence, give you a greater understanding of businesses and industry and get you excited about your future career.
- Same level as a Higher (SCQF 6)
- Work experience in that chosen field
- Assessed as you go, so there's no final exam
- It counts as one of your entry qualifications for all colleges and universities across Scotland
- Supports your personal statement
- It gives you great insight into your chosen industry
- Fast track to Modern or Graduate apprenticeship
We currently offer 3 Foundation Apprenticeships in the school:
- Foundation Apprenticeship in Business Skills
- Foundation Apprenticeship in Scientific Technologies
- Foundation Apprenticeship in Health and Social Care
Foundation Apprenticeship Business Skills
- This Foundation Apprenticeship helps pupils develop the skills and knowledge they need to enter into a career in the business sector.
- This programme incorporates classroom-based study with work-based learning to prepare you for entry to the workplace or full-time Further or Higher Education.
- It will provide you with certificated evidence of your knowledge and the skills you have developed to prepare you for future work in a business setting.
- Preferred pre-requisite N5 English and IT knowledge and skills
Foundation Apprenticeship Scientific Technologies
- The FA is in two parts
- Your National Progression Award (NPA) will cover:
- Laboratory Safety
- Mathematics for Science
- Fundamental Chemistry: An Introduction
- Experimental Procedures: Science
- You'll be assessed in real life situations in the workplace. You'll learn how to:
- Follow health and safety procedures for scientific or technical activities
- Carry out scientific or technical tests using manual equipment
- Prepare compounds and solutions for scientific or technical use
Preferred pre-requisite N5 Maths, N4/5 Chemistry
Foundation Apprenticeship Health and Social Care
- A Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services and Healthcare helps you prepare for a wide range of different care roles, such as:
- Adult or children's nurse
- Care assistant
- Care home manager
- Residential support worker
- Social worker
Preferred pre-requisite N5 English
If you want to know more, please come and see Mr Higgins in Business Education and Computing.